University in the Forest
From the Principles and Goals of the 2000 Campus Master Plan:
Duke is A UNIVERSITY IN THE FOREST:
- Preserve and strengthen the identity of the Duke campus as a community within a forest
- by identifying natural areas to be preserved, particularly selected areas of the Duke Forest, steep slopes, and waterways;
- by identifying natural areas that need to be conserved, limiting construction and interventions to those which maintain the quality and character of the natural environment;
- by limiting expansion and using infill development where possible; and
- by identifying means of preserving tree canopy, habitat and air & water quality.